(IPng 7222) Re: Last Call: Mobility Support in IPv6 to Proposed Standard

Richard Draves writes:
 > > I would think that if the intermediate dest (defined per the routing
 > > hdr) gets an IP packet, it should not do inbound IPsec processing, as
 > > it is not the final dest for the packet, i.e it is not one of the
 > > endpoints of the IPSEC session. On the otherhand, if the packet was
 > > tunnelled to it then it would make sense to do inbound IPSEC
 > > processing.
 >
 > See example below arguing that inbound IPsec processing should be required
 > for intermediate destinations.
 >
 > > Security gateways only operate on tunnelled packets, destined to it.
 > > I agree that it is not the final destination, but is in the sense
 > > of the IPSEC session.
 > >
 > > Yes if the intermediate dest (one of the intermediate IP addresses in
 > > the routing header) is a security gateway, it should do the outbound
 > > IPSEC processing.
 >
 > There are two approaches to my questions about the interaction of routing
 > headers and IPsec - the first is to think generically about routing headers,
 > and the second is to think specifically about mobility scenarios. The
 > mobility scenarios are good because they are very concrete, but they use the
 > routing header in a very stylized way.
 >
 > In a later message I'll examine some more mobility scenarios. To get back to
 > this particular thread, which is about more generic routing header
 > scenarios:
 >
 > I don't understand how it can be legitimate for an IPsec-enabled node that
 > is receiving a packet with a routing header to bypass inbound IPsec
 > processing.
 >
 > A very concrete, simple example: consider a node SG. SG has two interfaces,
 > an interface to the public network and an interface on a private network.
 > Node A is on the public network and node B is on the private network. The
 > SPD on SG requires all traffic through it to & from the public network to be
 > protected with tunnel-mode ESP. This is a classic security gateway scenario.
 > So in the normal case when node A sends a packet to node B, it will look
 > like
 > 	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst SG
 > 	ESP
 > 	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst B
 > 	Transport hdr
 >
 > This packet will arrive at SG. The outer IPv6 header will be processed. The
 > ESP header will be processed. The inner IPv6 header will be processed and SG
 > will realize it needs to forward the packet. It will do an inbound SPD
 > lookup and verify that the packet was protected with the appopriate
 > tunnel-mode ESP security association, which it was. Then it will do outbound
 > SPD processing, which will find a policy allowing the packet to be sent
 > without further protection, and it will send the packet as
 > 	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst B
 > 	Transport hdr
 >
 > That's all well and good and I hope we are in agreement so far.
 > Now suppose SG receives a packet that looks like
 > 	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst SG
 > 	Routing hdr - segs left = 1, B
> [...]

I am sorry I was unclear in my last mail. When I said that SG will not
do inbound IPSEC processing, I did not mean that it will not check its
policies to see if the packet should have come encrypted to it
If it has such a policy, it should drop the packet.

Eric already clarified this.

The intention of my previous mail was to say that the presence
of source routing header in a packet should not change the IPSEC
behavior either at the inbound or outbound. While a routing
header might be considered as part of policy lookup, if an
implementation allowed defining IPsec policies filtering on
intermediate destination.

Quaizar