RE: (IPng 7222) Re: Last Call: Mobility Support in IPv6 to Propos ed Standard

 > > I am sorry I was unclear in my last mail. When I said that SG will not
 > > do inbound IPSEC processing, I did not mean that it will not check its
 > > policies to see if the packet should have come encrypted to it
 > > If it has such a policy, it should drop the packet.
 > >
 > > Eric already clarified this.
 > >
 > > The intention of my previous mail was to say that the presence
 > > of source routing header in a packet should not change the IPSEC
 > > behavior either at the inbound or outbound. While a routing
 > > header might be considered as part of policy lookup, if an
 > > implementation allowed defining IPsec policies filtering on
 > > intermediate destination.
 >
 > I'm trying to keep things "simple" and not even consider policies that
 > filter on routing headers.
 >
 > So are we in agreement that an IPsec-enabled node that is processing a
 > routing header should do inbound & outbound IPsec processing, much like a
 > security gateway that is forwarding a packet? Then I don't understand the
 > point you are trying to make.

Yes I agree, but only that it should not consider SG as part of the
selector, but the final destination, unless policies have capabilties
to include intermediate destinations as part of the selector list.
I guess this is implementation dependent.

The point I was trying to make in my first mail, was that if A
is communicating with D via B and C, the resulting packet
looks like

	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst B
	Routing hdr - segs left = 1, C, D
	Transport hdr

Then it does IPSEC processing. Depending on the policy (irrespective
of how detailed the selector list) lookup, chooses a policy, which
directs it to either do tunnel mode IPsec with an SG or transport
mode IPSEC with D.

In the 1st case, the packet will look like :

	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst SG
	ESP Tunnel mode with SG
	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst B
	Routing hdr - segs left = 1, C, D
	Transport hdr

In the later case, it will be

	IPv6 hdr - src A, dst B
	ESP transport mode with D
	Routing hdr - segs left = 1, C, D
	Transport hdr

The secure gateway processes the 1st case by doing inbound IPSEC,
processing the ESP header. Next it processes the routing header
and forwards the packet to C.

In the 2nd case, if SG had an IPSEC policy that expected anything