Re: IPSEC stress tester?

>I'm looking for a test suite that will stress-test an IPSEC security
>gateway.
>Can anyone recommend something? If the product doesn't exist, maybe a
>service does?  I would prefer a product that I can re-use at my leisure as
>part of a regression test program.

Depends on what you mean by "stress test". There are at least two
orthogonal types of stress tests people have proposed: speed and
number/type of SAs. Creating software/hardware to test either type of
stress is easy; creating tests that are useful in the real world is
probably difficult without discussion from many vendors and customers.

A few companies have suggested that VPNC create some standard
stress-testing regimen, not so that someone can say "Product A runs faster
under stress than Product B", but so they ca say "if you put Product C on
one end of an Internet connection with a line speed of N, you can be sure
that the line speed will limit you sooner than the processing power of
Product C". Once VPNC gets up and running, I hope that the members will
want to discuss this more, and that we make the results public so that
anyone can run the tests themselves.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium