Re: linux-ipsec: cornered: MTU and fragmentation bugs

[ NOTICE!  This list will be hosted at lists.tislabs.com as of March 26.
There is no need to resubscribe, if you are on the list, you will remain
on it.  Just begin sending posts, and any administrative requests to
lists.tislabs.com as of now.  List mail to tis.com will cease to be
delivered as of March 26, 1999.  ]

In message <199903242110.NAA21766@toad.com>John Gilmore writes
>I would have been shocked, shocked! had there not been an RFC or
>Internet-Draft about Path MTU Discovery failures.  But indeed,
>the IETF "TCP Implementation" working group is working on it:
>
>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpimpl-pmtud-00.txt
>
>I've cc'd the author of this draft, Kevin Lahey, on this message.  The
>draft should definitely add mentions of the interaction of Path MTU
>problems, IP tunnelling, and IPSEC, including problems getting ICMP
>messages out of tunnels, and MTU's that are reduced by the size of
>tunnel and IPSEC headers.  It should also cross-reference the Path MTU
>and Tunnel MTU discussions in RFC 2003 (IP-in-IP).  It sounds like we
>need some cross-fertilization between the TCPIMPL and IPSEC working
>groups, and with other groups using IP-in-IP encapsulation (RFC's 2003
>and 1853) such as MOBILEIP.

I have a revised draft about ready to roll, so I'd be happy to add a
caveat about tunneling and a reference to RFC 2003.  I'd welcome
input on the draft.

Thanks,

Kevin Lahey
kml@nas.nasa.gov