Re: 3DES with 40-bit key?

Henry Spencer wrote:

> You cannot build a standard-conforming IPSEC implementation which
> restricts keys to 40 bits (or, after the pending changes, 56 bits).  It's
> not possible.

Is something like http://www.counterpane.com/low-entropy.html an option?

I quote the abstract w/o permission:

ABSTRACT: We introduce the notion of key stretching, a mechanism to
convert short s-bit keys into longer keys, such that the complexity
required to brute-force search a
(s+t)-bit keyspace is the same as the time required to brute-force
search a s-bit key stretched by t bits.

--
      The opinions expressed in this message are my personal
      opinion and in no way reflect the views of my employer.

Follow-Ups: References: