From: Anthony Walwyn [mailto:anthony.walwyn@telematics.com]
Sent: 30 March 1999 11:32
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: IPSec IP Telephony:End to End or Segment

Hi,

I've a question which I hope the experts on
this list can answer/give their opinion.

With respect to IP Telephony, should security be
end-to-end or does it make sense to have it on
just one segment, eg between two IP Telephony Gateways.

Phone--PSTN--IPGW--IP Network--IPGW--PSTN-Phone

If security is only implemented between the Gateways
is the security risk unacceptable ??

If the phones were Internet-Phones, security could be
implemented end-to-end using IPSec, but what happens if
one end is an Internet Phone and one end is a normal PSTN Phone ?

--
Anthony Walwyn                      Title: Senior Systems Engineer
ECI Telecom, UK DCME Development,   Voice: +44(0)1256 388065