RE: IPSec for IP Telephony

Actually, I think you would find that the main reason that digital
radio systems use a stream cipher is not for latency reasons
but rather for error propagation concerns.  When you use a
block cipher such as DES in either CBC or CFB mode, you cause
a propagation of a single-bit channel error into 1 or two
blocks worth of errors upon decryption.  This would be totally
unacceptable over a radio link where you tend to get spurious
errors here and there.

I know of at least one company who does digital radio with DES
running in the OFB mode, which makes it essentially a stream
cipher.

Bob Doud
IRE Secure Solutions, Inc.