Re: RSA claiming trademark on all uses of "RSA" to describe algorithm

 Steven> In message <199903300239.SAA20582@toad.com>, John Gilmore
 Steven> writes:
 >>  PS: The alternative, of course, is to ignore them and keep using
 >> the term "RSA".  Let them prove to a court that they own the term,
 >> which was in use before they formed the company and which was
 >> created in the traditional scientific community naming convention
 >> (after the names of the inventors).  Or intervene in their
 >> trademark filings, saying the term has wide use in the scientific
 >> and technical literature and that they're trying to
 >> inappropriately monopolize it to replace their expiring patent
 >> protection.

 Steven> If this is to be considered, we need a long list of
 Steven> scientific references from before the company was formed,
 Steven> right?

... which was in 1982 (see http://www.rsa.com/about/).

Here's one.  "The mathematics of public-key cryptography", Sci.Am,
August 1979.

	paul