RE: Commit Bit Processing

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617

There are applications that want to consider using the commit bit
in both directions. One of the specific ones I've seen is for key
recovery. See <draft-kra-ipsec-isakmp-04.txt>, for example.

> The other ambiguity (from previous bake-off experience) is whether the
> initiator should reflect the COMMIT bit back in his final
> message.  While
> there's no real value to it, there were implementations that
> expected this,
> and so most implementations do so.
>
> Derrell

I agree that there's much confusion with this bit. (I would argue
that reflecting back the commit bit is wrong, since it implies the
initiator also wants to send a CONNECTED notification.)

I'll be releasing an update to the re-keying document within a week,
and the commit bit gets a fair amount of discussion in this document.