RE: IPSec IP Telephony:End to End or Segment

Anthony,

I think that the model you suggest below will be a well known paradigm for
IP telephony. Vendors such as Nortel and Qwest are terminating T1 lines at
a device that is able to packetize voice. These voice gateways are then
sending packetized voice over public IP networks. This is totally insecure
traffic today. Our belief here at Spring Tide is that the ISP will need to
provide an additional IP security service for the voice traffic. This will
be done as you describe: two security gateways tunneling subscriber voice
sessions. There are other aspects of this problem, such as providing a
level of service that supports the delay-sensitive voice traffic, but that
is another discussion.

I hope that this helps you.

Steve.