Re: ipsec error codes

Hi Suresh,

Pyda Srisuresh wrote:

> <... snip>
> > I'd like some input on this before attempting to write up something more
> > substantial. Are there additional requirements? Are the ones specified
> > here correct?
> >
> > Scott
> >
> Here is my thinking on this.
>
> When a packet is dropped at any node across the network due to
> enforcement of a certain policy, it would be beneficial for the
> end-node (that originated the packet) to know the policy that
> caused the packets to drop and why.

One obvious concern with this would be denial of service attacks, i.e.
now, you not only have to reject the packet, but you have to send out a
meaningless notification as well. I suppose that if you could configure
the device to only respond to known (that is, configured) endpoints,
this would mitigate the risk, though not eliminate it entirely.

Scott

Follow-Ups: References: