Re: representation of IKE DH shared secret

> In the spirit of "less is more", I wonder what interest is served
> by specifying the representation of internal values?  You can
> represent g^xy as a decimal string if it is convenient for your
> hardware.

The shared secret g^xy is used in several places as input to a
pseudo-random function.  The prf's I'm familiar with (HMAC-SHA1,
HMAC-MD5) want a byte string as input.

For interoperability you need to agree on the exact sequence of bytes
fed into the prf; it's not a matter of what internal representation is
in use..

					- Bill