Re: representation of IKE DH shared secret

>In the spirit of "less is more", I wonder what interest is served
>by specifying the representation of internal values?  You can
>represent g^xy as a decimal string if it is convenient for your
>hardware.

Under "normal" circumstances, you're right, it wouldn't matter
how g^xy is represented internally.  The problem is that g^xy
is used as input to the HMAC function that generates the key
material.  If both sides don't use the same set of octets in
the same order as input to the hash function, they won't generate
the same keys.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: smamros@nortelnetworks.com