Re: representation of IKE DH shared secret

  Actually, they get back into the document. The whole thing about
padding the KE payload was because of an incident at a bakeoff where
someone's D-H public value began with 8 (or more) zeros and
was consequently deemed "too short" by others.

  The fact that this verbage didn't make it into the representation of
the D-H secret was an oversight on my part that we're cleaning up now.
I figured it was straightforward but it's not.

  Dan.

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:02:12 EDT you wrote
> For those of us who are unable to attend the meetings, are these types
> of resolutions announced in some fashion?  Posted to this mailing list,
> or somewhere on the Web, etc.?  Thanks in advance.
>
> At 08:32 PM 04/22/1999 +0300, Tero Kivinen wrote:
> >Dan Harkins writes:
> >> Is this a problem? We seem to have gotten a score (or so) interoperable
> >> implementations as its written but maybe that's just because a D-H
> >> secret hasn't been produced yet that began with 8 bits of zero. But
> >> somehow I doubt it.
> >
> >It is mainly because of the interop meetings. I remember seeing
> >different non-interoperable version because of this in one interop
> >meeting. After we didn't interoperate the other ends code was changed
> >to do what everybody else is doing, and then we had interoperable
> >versions.
> >
> >There is some of this kind of things that you can only learn by coming
> >to the interop meeting and checking out how others are doing things.
> >--
> >kivinen@iki.fi                               Work : +358-9-4354 3218
> >SSH Communications Security                  http://www.ssh.fi/
> >SSH IPSEC Toolkit                            http://www.ssh.fi/ipsec/