Re: linux-ipsec: Decrypting ID payload in Main Mode w/shared secrets

  OK, I'll concede this. Some organization may be able to correlate airline
flight records, images from Internet cafe video cameras, ISP logs, and telephone
bills into a damning indictment on a single individual. Impressive but not beyond
my imagination. Don't you also think that there's some hit squad in some
repressive dictatorship that would rather find out that a wanted man is in
some exact location at an exact time? "He's in the El Mariachi Internet Cafe!
Move!" But this kind of posturing is better done face-to-face with some
libation in hand.

  An active attack on what you describe may be easier to hide than you imagine.
As soon as the IKE SA is "authenticated" and the identities determined
delete messages are sent back to the parties to delete the SA. Since the packets
that initiated the IKE exchange in the first place are still in the hopper waiting
for an IPSec SA it'll initiate another exchange. This 2nd one will succeed. The
user sees a slight delay which might be normal for the local PTT.

  But this is bizarre. You're arguing _for_ doing something that allows for
an active attack when you have perfectly good options that will solve your
problem and not open you up to attack. Is there a problem with El-Gamal keys?
Is there a problem with the reconstitued ID_KEY_ID scheme I described? Why
not use GNU Privacy Guard DSA keys? That would seem to advance two products
in tandem, which would be a good thing (actually GNU Privacy Guard El-Gamal
encryption keys would be better). If I was paranoid I'd think you had an
ulterior motive.

  Dan.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:49:53 PDT you wrote