From: Chad Schieken <chad@Op.Net>
Subject: Re: SNMP satisfies most requirements
To: cuber@omaha.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:10:33 -0500 (EST)
12:45:12 pm

That's a good point, my answer to the question is that is upto the
transport method used. Most transports, TCP/IP, UDP don't have much,
but it's still possible to create secure serivces using them, look at
ssh an example.

I think I should point out that I personally don't think that a
stateless protocol (UDP) is appropreate to use if we're going to want
secure channels of commincation built ontop of it.

However obviously it's a tradeoff. UD P simply has alot less overhead,
which makes it attractive in some situations.j

Too bad ttcp didn't really take off
(http://www.cis.udel.edu/~sezen/ttcp.html) that would be my suggestion
for the transport mechanism. If it were more widely adopted.

James L. Burden, Security Engineer and Architect
California Independent System Operator
Phone: 916.351.2243 http://www.caiso.com
41DF 0E4C 26E0 2FD3 8C81  A260 5C40 280E B4AE 7420
  Know yourself, Know your enemy
     in a hundred battles you will never be in danger,
  Know the ground, Know the weather,
     and your victory will be total.    - Sun Tzu "The Art of War"