Re: IKE transport (was INITIAL-CONTACT issues)

> >that one of the original design requirements was transport independence,
> >and also that a DoS attack might be easier to mount if the transport was
> >TCP, meaning that there would be more (useless) work per packet for TCP.
>
> I am not very clear on the DoS attack issues. It is my understanding
> many web servers run into this problem and have addressed the DoS
> attack problem for TCP at a system level.

The web servers have fixed the SYN-flooding attack.

There is nothing to stop malicious injections of RST packets into a TCP
stream.  This is the biggest reason to not use TCP for IKE.  You'll never get
past the 3-way handshake if you have a malicious eavesdropper.

Dan

Follow-Ups: References: