RE: ISP's who assign unrouteable addresses

Seems like this could have problems if 2 of their customers wanted to
communicate with each other of if the customers wanted to use the 10.x.x.x
address space. It would also seem like trouble if the customers ran a
protocol (as a server) which used a command and data connection (in the
fashion of FTP) where the command connection passed the IP/port of the data
connection back to the other end and then waited for the connection.

My experience is that NAT doesn't work well in this situation unless the
protocol is commonly known. For example, we use "middleware" package
internally. A PC connects to us via a command connection and are then
informed to reconnect to the IP of our system on a specific port. All
subsequent traffic occurs on the new connection. At one remote site, we
decided to use NAT and immediately ran into problems since the NAT software
on the routers didn't know how to translate the PORT command. I believe
there are other software packages which also utilize a form of IP/Port
redirection.

If the customer is only doing simple things, as Pyda has said, or has
contracted for an "end-node" type service (such as an AOL customer), this is
probably OK.  In some senses, doesn't AOL NAT everyone who uses their
software?