Re: ICMP in IPSec

> Ari Huttunen wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think that you're trying to approach this problem from a too low
> level perspective. The really important question is about trust.
>
>         "Can I trust the sender of the ICMP message?"
>
>         "Can I trust that the ICMP message has not
>          been changed en-route?"

	I absolutly agree that the central questions are about trust. The
strategy I took was to surrender that decision to operations and
mainentance groups. You may note that at several key points in my memo,
I suggest that options be given to administrators to accept risk.

	So my idea was "let the administrator decide which ICMP to trust", Your
idea is "build a new system which is capable of offering higher identity
and data integrity to ICMP messages."

	Ah, I recognize that... it's the age old "do something expedient or do
something architectual" question. Often it turns out to make sence to do
both.

--
#  Ricky Charlet

end Howdy;