Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-skipjack-cbc-00.txt

In message <199905251943.PAA16111@dcl.MIT.EDU>, "Theodore Y. Ts'o" writes:

>draft-ietf-ipsec-skipjack-cbc-00.txt
>
>Scott, Sandra,
>

>Secondly, there's a much more serious technical problem with your draft,
>in that by using an implicit IV and a sequence number, it looks like
>you're assuming that IV is chained across packets.  If that is the case,
>it has a significant problem in that it you force the IPSEC engine to
>handle reordering, and even worse, it has no way to recover from a
>dropped packet.

Actually, no -- given CBC's properties, a dropped packet implies that the
following packet will not be decryptable; however, the last block of its
ciphertext can still be used as the IV for the next packet.  You thus square
the effective packet loss probability.  Reordering is still a significant
hassle for the receiver, however.

>I suggest you rethink your decision to use an implicit IV.

Agreed.