Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-skipjack-cbc-00.txt

Paul Koning wrote:

> I don't suppose it's ideal, but that sounds like a chosen plaintext
> attack, which is something that good cryptosystems should be able to
> cope with.
>
> Apart from that, the explicit IV RFC has the same property: it
> describes chaining from one block to the next as a "common practice"
> (RFC 2451, top of page 8).  There isn't any assumption that IVs are
> unpredictable -- the preceding packet will tell you what it will be in
> implementations that use that "common practice".  What is required is
> avoiding low Hamming distance, which chaining will do (as will the use
> of a separate random IV per packet).

I realize that it is common practice, however this practice opens
you up to a chosen plaintext attack. I admit that this is unlikely,
but since it can be avoided by choosing a random IV or one that is
unpredictable.... why not?

Philip
--
Philip Gladstone                           +1 781 530 2461
Axent Technologies, Waltham, MA

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

Follow-Ups: References: