RE: New MIB Drafts Submitted

I have been thinking of making a suggestion about IPCOMP negotiation for
some time, and this new MIB has prompted me to write it down.

This MIB has a separate table for IPCOMP Security Associations.  It has
always seemed odd to me that IPCOMP is being negotiated with IKE at all. It
also seems odd that there are other suggestions to extend IKE with IKE-CFG
and IKE-XAUTH.  IKE is a very good tool to exchange keys in a secure ways
that are then used to enact data encryption and authentication. Can't we
agree to leave it at that?

If there is a need to add other IP Peer negotiation, then perhaps it is time
for a generic IP Peer Protocol ('IPPP'). At the moment, there is no way to
negotiate IPCOMP between hosts, other than to use IKE.  Perhaps we need
'IPPP' to cover these extensions for IP in general.

If you think about what these IKE-klingons are adding, it looks very similar
to PPP NCPs - CCP, IPCP, CHAP etc.  Perhaps running an IP version of these
protocols following the end of Phase-2 would allow us to leave IKE pure, and
we would not be in the silly position of having IPCOMP SAs.

I would even go so far as to say that the policy (subnet,range,address)
negotiation could be stripped from phase2 as well.  IKE phase2 would then
negotiate just the protocols used to protect data and lifetime/lifedata. Any
restrictions to be applied to packets could then be negotiated/exchanged by
'IPPP' in a 'policy phase'.
In some cases (most, I'd say), no policy needs to be sent - 'send anything'.

Maybe I go to far, but there does seem to be a need for a protocol to
negotiate peer to peer items for VPNs and non-VPNs that would not be bound
to IPSEC/IKE.

At the very least, this may allow host peers to negotiate IPCOMP, and allow
the Security Gateways to worry about encryption/authentication enforcement.

Any votes of support for a draft?
Steve.