Re: A question on SA establishment in RFC 2408

We ran into this at the bakeoff last week.....

This would provide value if it was required that the responder retain the
Proposal # and Transform #.  Since it is only suggested as a SHOULD and since
we have found several implementations that have not followed this
recommendation, it provide little if no value.

Take for example the situation where the initiator proposes 3 proposals, each
having 4 transforms and the responder chooses transform #3 in proposal #2.
Most implementations followed the recommendation and would send back an SA
payload with a single proposal payload with a proposal #2 containing a single
transform payload with a transform #3.  Others did not follow this
recommendation and would return the contents of proposal #2 and transform #3,
however numbering them proposal #1 and transform #1. Given this different
behavior, the initiator has very little choice other than to go back through
all proposed proposals and transforms with the reply looking for a match.

Mike Williams

IBM AS4/00 TCP/IP Development