From: John Shriver [mailto:jas@shiva.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 5:12 PM
To: Stephen.Waters@cabletron.com
Cc: pkoning@xedia.com; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com;
ippcp@external.cisco.com; Stephen.Waters@cabletron.com
Subject: Re: Proposal for IP Peer protocol

The Van Jacobsen header compression relies on two things that PPP
provides and IPsec "tunnels" don't provide:

1. Freedom from reordering of packets.  (The anti-replay field is not
normally used to prevent reordering.)

2. The receiver gets information about lost (bad CRC) frames.  (This
is more of a hint, but still important.)

Thus, the VJ compression relies very strongly on these characteristics
of PPP.  By the time you provide the same QoS in IPsec, you will be
close to re-inventing TCP.