Re: NAT and IPSEC INCOMPATIBLE???

> Looking at rfc1631 (NAT) and rfc2401 (IPSEC Overview) I have not yet
> discovered a reason for conflict in using the two protocols together.  Just
> trying to understand if it is possible.....or if a IPSEC and NAT are just
> not made to function together.  Specifics of the reason this will or won't
> work would be VERY much appreciated.

Yep, NAT breaks IPSEC.

NAT breaks any protocol which protects IP addresses from modification.
AH's checksum includes these header fields, so that's one thing which
breaks.

NAT also needs to tweak transport-layer checksums (since the source
and destination addresses are included in the UDP and TCP checksums).
since those checksums are themselves included in the AH or ESP
integrity check, and may also be encrypted by ESP as well.

					- Bill