RE: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-01.txt (long)

I would like to see the following:

For any symmetric ciphers where there is negligible differences in memory
consumption and performance overhead between key lengths, the ID/RFC that
explains how the cipher is negotiated via IKE (transform ID, etc) MUST state
that only the maximum key length is used (no key length attribute).

If this was the case, "negotiating up" for these ciphers would no longer be
an issue.

For security attributes that have performance/security tradeoffs, security
gateway administrators will most likely want the policy that they configure
to be enforced (hypothetically - they wouldn't want a policy that says PFS
off being "negotiated up" to 2048-bit DH for 1000 simultaneous SA
negotiations). If an administrator wants to allow "negotiation up" he would
configure it that way and all combinations for a security attribute of value
X and greater would be offered and allowed (but then that wouldn't be
"negotiate up").

-dave