Re: NAT and IPSEC INCOMPATIBLE???

Pat,

The accessability provided by NAPT (Network Address Port Translator)
is not any less than the accessibility provided by a host with a
single address.

Further, Bidirectional-NAT does not preclude inbound connections.
It simply does address multiplexing - optimal use of limited
addresses available.

I suggest you take a look at <draft-ietf-nat-terminology-03.txt>
prior to spreading misinformation.

cheers,
suresh

> And just to make matters worse, I could not have anyone connect directly to me
> thanks to NAT (i.e. ftp, SIP, etc).
>
> PatC

> > Until the hotels get more customers like Pat, who say that...
> >
> > > hmm... so I HAVE to trust my hotel? What kind of customers are they looking
> > > for? If they are looking for the commuter, then NAT is a bad thing since I
> > > will want to encrypt my data back to my corporate network.
> >
> > And by then they'll be looking for another alternative.

> > And that alternative is IPv6.  ESP works just fine over that.
> >
> > Dan

Follow-Ups: References: