Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-01.txt (long)

  I really miss Ran Atkinson. During a discussion on mandating support
for secure DNS he said the following:

  "Hmm.  Perhaps permit me to narrow those statements a bit to try to clarify
   something (mandating implementation support vs. mandating use) that
   periodically causes confusion within the IPsec WG.

   "The IETF requires that _implementations_ of IP also _implement_ support for
   DNS.  The IETF does NOT require that users actually _USE_ DNS.  Now most
   users DO use DNS because it is widely implemented and it is often easier to
   use than typing an IP number.  However, on occasion users (e.g. me) don't
   use DNS and instead just type an IP number on the command line (e.g.
   "telnet 1.2.3.4") and this isn't violating any IETF requirement."

So we can mandate the support for negotiating up things like key lengths but
not require that it be done every single time. If someone wants to have a
policy that says, "128 bits no more no less" then they are free to do that
without violating any IETF requirements just as Ran (and you, and me) is free
to type telnet 1.2.3.4 and not violate any IETF requirements.

  As I stated before, the text that is causing so many people problems is being
rewritten and the word "policy" will not show up anywhere. No one is advocating
overriding any policy. But the text said SHOULD. Some want MUST. So, keeping
in mind the difference between mandating implementation support versus
mandating use, what should it be? SHOULD or MUST? Is there a reason not to
support this capability (again, keeping in mind the difference between
mandating implementation support versus mandating use)?

  Dan.

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:22:45 PDT you wrote

Follow-Ups: References: