Re: Comments on draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-01.txt (long)

    Rob> Changing the wording to a MUST forces people to accept key lengths
    Rob> they may not want, for whatever reason.  It also forces
    Rob> implementations wishing to provide their customers with
    Rob> authoritative policy control to "break" with the standard.

    Rob> I firmly believe the wording must remain a SHOULD.  I also would not
    Rob> like to see another globally required policy knob that makes people
    Rob> choose between "I meant what I said" and "You figure it out."

  We must all recall that SHOULD means:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

  Emphasis on "valid reasons".

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |   ...working from my front lawn with a long cord...
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.

Follow-Ups: References: