draft-ietf-ipsec-notifymsg-00.txt

For around a year or so (maybe longer), Bob has been trying to get
someone to work on an "ipsec errors" draft. I agreed to do it at the
Minneapolis IETF, and have finally completed the first rev of the draft
- I just submitted it, so the announcement should hit the list in the
next day or so.

The draft details the various ISAKMP notify messages, and suggests what
should be contained in the notify payloads so that the recipient can
determine which SA it applies to, what actually happened, etc. The
formats mimic the ones for ipsec (as opposed to isakmp) status messages
in the DOI RFC. Ultimately, we may want to include other ipsec-related
error/status messages in the discussion, but I didn't want to bite off
too much at first.

Going through each of the notify types is pretty tedious, and I'm as
busy as everyone else, so I want to say up front that there are probable
plenty of typos and mistakes. The point of submitting the doc now is to
try to solicit comments before Oslo. It's possible that I could actually
submit another rev before the deadline, given enough wg input. The
bottom line is that I'm hoping people have definite ideas about (at
least) some of these messages, and that we can incorporate these in the
doc asap.

Scott