Re: issues from the bakeoff

  It seems to me that if you take an arbitrary action like this then you
should actively do something to recover. That is, if you decide to delete
all IPSec SAs that were created by an IKE SA that was deleted (for whatever
reason) then you should initiate a phase 1 exchange back to the peer.

  But it doesn't seem to me to be necessary to delete IPSec SAs just because
an IKE SA has deleted (I anticipate emails posing the "what about an SA that
was authenticated with a certificate that expires during the SA's lifetime?"
question). It was OK to create IPSec SAs at one time and I don't see anything
changing that just because the IKE SA timed out.

  From your description it doesn't even sound like you'd rekey with yourself.
There would still be a short period (equal to the time necessary to do full
renegotiation) where packets would be dropped if one side arbitrarily cleared
the IKE SADB. That should tell you something about whether your actions are
correct. If you drop packets during a rekey with yourself then you're doing
something wrong.

  If you strongly feel that IPSec SAs have to retire when the IKE SA which
created them does then at least keep them around for a short period of time
while you renegotiate them. Artificially aging them to
		(2 * ave-renegotiation-time +- some-fuzz-factor)
would seem the prudent thing to do. That will enable you to continue to
process packets while you renegotiate. And re-initiate the phase 1 exchange
since you're taking this action.

  Dan.

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:29:31 EDT you wrote