RE: Dangling phase 2 SAs (was RE: issues from the bakeoff)

 >>  In particular, I don't understand the assertion that allowing
 >> phase 2 SAs to live past the deletion of the Phase 1 SA is in any
 >> way a security issue.  What does "bounds the authenticated
 >> lifetime of the end points" mean?  Could you describe an attack on
 >> a system that is made possible by letting the phase 2 SAs live
 >> beyond the deletion of a phase 1 SA?

 Tim> I tried to explain this in my response to Dan; he had a similar
 Tim> question. If it's still not clear, please let me know.

That's the note I was referring to.  It's not clear in the least.  You
make a statement "bounds the authenticated lifetime of the end
points", whose meaning isn't clear.  And then you say that there is a
security problem, but you don't spell out what the nature of the
problem is.

I see no security problem.  At the time you run phase 2, you have a
phase 1 SA.  That has assorted security attributes which you know.
Based on that knowledge, you accept the phase 2 exchange with all the
attributes in it.  You might modify some of what's proposed (for
example, you might unilaterally restrict the lifetime of the phase 2
SA based on the impending expiration of the cert that authenticated
the phase 1 SA).

So you clearly rely on the security properties of the phase 1 SA to
establish the security properties of the phase 2 SA.  But it does not
follow that the continuing security of the phase 2 SA relies on the
continued existence of the phase 1 SA.

I think you need to exhibit a specific attack to support the point you
raised.

	paul