RE: Dangling phase 2 SAs (was RE: issues from the bakeoff)

---
Tim Jenkins                       TimeStep Corporation
tjenkins@timestep.com          http://www.timestep.com
(613) 599-3610 x4304               Fax: (613) 599-3617

Okay, phase 1 lifetime gets negotiated to 4 hours by a dial-in client. Phase
2 lifetimes are set to expire at 5 Mbyte traffic. At 3 hours and 50 minutes
into the phase 1 lifetime, the phase 2 SAs are re-keyed. At 4 hours, the
phase 1 SA is deleted. Seems fine so far. A little later the certificate of
the dial in client gets revoked. So now we have phase 2 SAs up that may be
used by the person whose certificate has been revoked, and they've got 5
Mbyte of data they can move before the system will redo phase 1. If the
presence of phase 1 SAs was required, this would have been detected within 4
hours (at the next phase 1 re-key time: the phase 1 re-key would fail) and
the system would know to tear down all SAs.

Otherwise, you need some other mechanism to know that the phase 2 need to be
torn down before they would otherwise normally expire. And in this case,
you'd have to do it unilaterally: no polite delete or anything; they would
just get removed, and the dial-in client may be hitting you with packets
with invalid SPIs.

By overlapping phase 1 SAs, if the re-key fails, the existing SA can be used
to send deletes for the phase 2 SA and itself, cleaning up the far
implementation.

It's far cleaner, and it's really not that complicated.

Does this help?

Tim