Re: draft-ietf-ipsec-notifymsg-00.txt

Hi Scott,

I have one remark on the Notify message drafts.
I believe that there should be room left in the notify payload for a textual message
describing the problem.
Such an error string along side the pre-defined notify types has the advantages of
refining the meaning of the notify message type and it could be used for auditing or for
displaying a message whenever a user is involved.

So, my proposal is that the notify data field should be structured like a list of data
attributes pairs (attribute type + attribute value),
one pair would contain the data that you have proposed in your draft, and another
(optional) pair would contain a string.
Actually, I believe that a similar proposal was raised at the NC bakeoff a while back.

Regards,
Tamir.

Follow-Ups: References: