Re: issues from the bakeoff

 Tero> Paul Koning writes:
 Dan> - Is it OK to send 3 copies of every single message (which one
 Dan> implementation was doing)? Yes.
 >> Similarly, the IKE spec doesn't specifically prohibit sending 3
 >> copies of the message because, I submit, no one thought that
 >> anyone would be silly enough to do this, so it wasn't necessary to
 >> make a specific rule "don't do this silly thing".  But I would
 >> certainly call this implementation broken.

 Tero> It might also be that the other end used 100 ms retranmission
 Tero> timers, that was doubled every time, so the first retry was
 Tero> sent 100 ms after first packet, second retry 200 ms after the
 Tero> second packet, and third one 400 ms after the second packet
 Tero> etc.

 Tero> If it took about a second from the other end to process the
 Tero> packet what he sees is that he is receiving three copies of
 Tero> every packet.

Possible.  But while some packets take some time (D-H and the like)
others don't.  So if you're seeing three copies of ALL packets, this
explanation doesn't fit well.

 Tero> Anyways sending each packet 3 times should matter, because
 Tero> every implementation MUST be able to interoperate with such
 Tero> system.

Of course, and I never said otherwise.  But that doesn't mean that a
system that always sends three copies of a packet should be considered
sane or normal, any more than a TCP stack that did this would be.

	paul

Follow-Ups: References: