RE: Getting the features chart going

> Some questions about IKE-CFG:
>
> 1. Are all attributes mandatory?

>From Section 2 of the draft:

	"If a badly formatted exchange is received, the message SHOULD be
   silently discarded and MAY be logged locally, as per local policy.
   Badly formatted exchanges MIGHT include those with unknown codes or
   unknown attributes."

I think it's up to the implementation.  You may wish to abort the
transaction if you receive an attribute that you don't support, or you may
wish to attempt to continue.

> 2. What if a vendor adds support for a new
> non-standard attribute?
>
> How will this affect interoperability?
>
> Remember, the extension could be at the
> initiator or responder. What should happen
> when an initiator requests an attribute that
> the responder can't handle, or vice versa?
> Does this behavior enable vendor "bullying"?

A non-standard attribute would be in the private range.  I think that most
implementations would simply ignore attributes from the private range that
they don't understand.

> 3. Should only IANA-approved attributes be
> allowed? What is the procedure for IANA
> approval?

The draft is still evolving, any suggestions should be brought up to the
editor.