Re: new second mandatory IPsec cipher

At 03:00 AM 7/14/99 +0300, Helger Lipmaa wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>
>> We've been talking about declaring a second mandatory to implement cipher,
>> or in some way declaring a new second cipher for IPsec.
>
>The best (IMHO) opinion would be to wait until December and then pick 1-2
>leading AES candidates.

This leads those of use in the spectator section of the "AES Horse Race"
statium to conclude that the AES candidates are being more scrutinized than
previous existing ciphers, specifically CAST.  This is possibly true.  On the
other hand, it is quite disturbing since a lot of people are running around
buying and selling technical opinions as to the safety of non-AES algorithms.

Are we concluding that the AES candidates have been studied more than CAST,
and therefore are safer?

Follow-Ups: References: