Re: starting on asking THE QUESTION

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Should we make the change to the standard (other than switch from DES to 3DES)
> 2a)	This Year
> 2b)	Next Year

I suggest narrowing the debate slightly:  it seems to me that the question
before this assembly :-) is whether to add a second cipher more or less
immediately, i.e. this year.  It is quite likely that the progress of AES
will inspire a further addition somewhat later, and other developments
could well have the same effect, but the question which needs to be
decided *now* is whether to add another cipher *now*.  The question of
later additions can, and should, be postponed.

> Should the 2nd cipher be:
> 3a)	An existing non-DES cipher
> 3b)	One of the 5 AES finalists

If my proposed narrowing of debate is accepted, I think this question
answers itself:  the AES finalists are too new for there to be widespread
confidence in them *now*.  (The key word is "widespread".)

The crucial question is whether an existing non-DES cipher should be added
promptly, or whether changes other than DES->3DES should be deferred until
at least next year.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net
                                                     (henry@zoo.toronto.edu)