Re: your mail

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Bruce Schneier wrote:

> This still makes no sense to me.  There are so many things to
> worry about wrt an IPSec implementation, so many things that can
> compromise security if they are not done correctly, that making
> sure there is a backup to triple-DES seems like a collossal waste
> of time.  It's like putting a mile-high stake in the ground and
> hoping the enemy runs right into it, instead of trying to build a
> wall.

I am having trouble believing 3DES is going to broken anytime soon,
but then I am not a cryptographer and up on current events. Therefore,
I believe that a back-up cipher will be caught in regular maintenance
cycles and the whole thing a non-issue, but I've been wrong many times
before. :)

I ask what is going on here folks? This whole 3DES thing seems like
FUD, which isn't typical IETF behaviour. What is it I don't know?