RE: IP tunnel over a NAT (IP masq) possible ?

Title: RE: IP tunnel over a NAT (IP masq) possible ?

Hi! Florian:

I am afraid that you would not be able setup a tunnel from a client behind a NAT device. The problem is the source address of the tunneled packet would be changed by the NAT device, but when client builds the authentication header, it takes the source address into account already. Thus, on the other end of the tunnel, the authentication would fail.

One possiblity to solve your requirement is using a NAT device which would also originates a tunnel for you. So when it builds authentication header, it takes the mapped source address/port already. But even this approach might not work on every application that you might have. You could find out more in IETF NAT, IPSec working groups' home page.

So far, I am in the context of IPsec tunnel. If you find something that would work for you, maybe another flavor of tunnel, please let me know.

Regards,
Shih-Chin