	From: Tamir Zegman [mailto:zegman@checkpoint.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 1:12 PM
	To: Scott G. Kelly
	Cc: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com; ietf-ipsra@vpnc.org
	Subject: Re: Comment on xauth and hybrid

	I think that there is a consensus that static passwords are BAD.
	XAUTH/Hybrid are not there to support static passwords but to
support stronger
	authentication schemes.
	In some cases PKI with "soft" tokens are even less secure than
legacy
	authentication schemes such as SecurID tokens.
	In the absence of PKI, IKE users will fall back to use pre-shared
keys. Do we
	want that? In some aspects IKE pre-shared secrets are even less
secure than
	XAUTH/Hybrid with fixed passwords since they are susceptible to
off-line
	dictionary attacks. Why not ban pre-shared secrets?

	Tamir.