RE: XAUTH is broken

On 23 Jul 99 at 10:40, Joern Sierwald wrote:

> At 15:53 22.7.1999 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >This is a rather unfair and unreasonable accusation.
> Yes it is. It was meant to be a bit teasing, but it looks just mean
> if it read it today. Sorry.
>
> >If it turns
> >out that the best solution is to use a new exchange type, we would
> >still have to change our code, and it also one of the suggestions
> >that I already said I prefer.
> >
> OK, let's go this way. I would like to suggest that we define _two_
> new exchanges, one for 4 packets and one for 6 packets.

Number of packets depends on type of authentication. Who can
guarantee that tomorrow another type of authentication will require,
say, 8 packets? Shall we define new exchange again then? And so on?
Would'n be better to define XAUTH exchange as open ended?

BTW, question to Tim Jenkins. Attribute payload contains "Identifier"
field. Why not use it (by requiring it to be the same in all
attribute payloads during one XAUTH exchange) for state tracking and
let M-ID be different (e.g. perform XAUTH as series of ordinary
ISAKMP-CFG)?

> Jörn

Regards,
Valery.