RE: XAUTH is broken

I think this is definitely the best way to proceed.  It should have minimum
impact on those already having implemented / deployed XAUTH, and results in
a cleaner state machine for those who are just implementing it now.

Before we make any changes to the doc. though I want to make sure that
everyone is in agreement.

Are there are any objections?