Re: XAUTH is broken

  Jörn,

  "Group 5", the 1536 bit MODP group, is in the new IKE draft. Since that
draft intends to depricate RFC2409 it seems appropriate for it to "steal"
numbers from RFC2409's space. This draft is not an independent companion/
extension draft but a wholesale replacement. I don't see the possibility
for conflict in this case.

  According to the IANA Considerations section of RFC2409 new group
descriptions must accompany a standards-track or informational RFC.
So a 1536 bit MODP group could be assigned a number by coming up with an
RFC that describes the 1536 bit MODP group only or the description of the
group can be part of the IKE draft which will, hopefully, be advanced as
a standards-track replacement to RFC2409-- in effect, piggybacking the
group into definition. Since it didn't appear that the former was going
to happen I decided to choose the latter route.

  Dan.

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:43:26 +0300 you wrote