Re: XAUTH is broken

Paul Koning wrote:

<trimmed...>
> I don't understand the rationnale for using private numbers for
> working group efforts.  The notion of "private" implies that it's for
> purposes that aren't being standardized.
>
> Is the problem that it's taking a really long time for IANA to assign
> the number?  If the numbers could be assigned efficiently, it would be
> perfectly straightforward to give a number to a draft as soon as the
> draft is prepared.  If a draft ends up not being approved, or changes
> in such a fashion that the number is no longer needed, it can either
> be marked obsolete, or recycled.
>
>         paul

The problem is that it's not clear that this will be standardized, and
there is currently a healthy debate on as to whether this approach
(xauth) is necessary or prudent. Assigning a number before the wg has
actually committed to putting this on the standards track seems
inappropriate.

Scott

Follow-Ups: References: