PKIX vs draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt

Hi all

I'm busy adding support for IPSEC server and client certificates to our
certificate services portfolioand have run into a conflict between PKIX
RFC2459 and draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt.

Specifically, with regard to the OID's used in an ExtendedKeyUsage
extension, there are two different proposals.

PKIX has:

  id-kp-ipsecUser
  id-kp-ipsecTunnel
  id-kp-ipsecServer

draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt has:

  iKEEnd
  iKEIntermediate

Are these two complementary or conflicting? My immediate reaction based
on experience in the SSL world is that it is very important to
distinguish between servers and clients and so the PKIX mdoel makes more
sense to me. Is this done differently in the
draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt model? Do you use subjectAltNames for
this (email vs domainname for example)?

Also, we're very keen to test interoperability between our certs and
your products. If you'd liek to do this please just let me know!

Regards,

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte