Re: PKIX vs draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt

Hi Stephen

I'm certainly in agreement with you about overloading. But I think that
organizations will want to build SIMPLE rules to differentiate between
routers, gateways and end-users. They should be able to do this JUST by
looking at the cert, and not by referring to a directory or other source
(otherwise you add another fragile link in the chain).

So, there needs to be some broad agreement about how this is done so
that these policies can work in a heterogenous environment.

For example, in many of the current implementations I've seen you have
to explicitly manually trust the certificates of each of the devices you
want to talk to. This is a configuration nightmare in larger-scale
deployments. Each device needs to be manually told about n other
certificates (and updated each time one of them expires). You really
want to be able to say "look at the iPAddress or dNSName in the cert and
make sure it matches the iPAddress with which you are exchanging
packets". This way there is no manual configuration of certificates -
each router has a normal set of routing tables and expects the routers
it talks to securely to be able to produce a valid cert signed by one of
the trusted CA's with a subjectAltName that matches its dNSName or
iPAddress.

The preferred way for us would be subjectAltName. In other words, for
machine, router and gateway certificates we put an IPaddress or dNSName
in the cert, while for user certificates we put one or more email
addresses. If this was the rule, then we could differentiate between
"machine" certificates and "human" certificates on the basis of the
subjectAltName. Then I would be happy with Rodney's proposal of iKEEnd
and iKEIntermediate. Servers and point-to-point routers would have
iKEEnd with a subjectAltName iPAddress or dNSName, while end-users would
have iKEEnd with a subjectAltName rfc822Name. Firewalls would have
iKEIntermediate with a dNSName or iPAddress.

Does this make sense?

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte