RE: Retransmits in traffic count?

Let me start again.

Should the traffic used in re-transmitting packets used in phase 1 SAs while
negotiating anything be counted against the traffic-based lifetime of the
SA?

In other words, if I have to send the first quick mode 1 message three times
before I get a response from the peer, should that first packet's traffic be
counted one time or three times against the phase 1 SA's lifetime (by
traffic) limitation?

The current ISAKMP DOI-independent MIB does:

==>

saInPackets OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX		Counter32
	MAX-ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS		current
	DESCRIPTION
		"The total number of packets received by the ISAKMP phase 1
SA, including un-encrypted packets used to negotiate the ISAKMP phase 1 SA,
and any re-transmissions."
	::= { saEntry 13 }

saOutPackets OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX		Counter32
	MAX-ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS		current
	DESCRIPTION
		"The total number of packets sent by the ISAKMP phase 1 SA,
including un-encrypted packets used to negotiate the ISAKMP phase 1 SA, and
any re-transmissions received."
	::= { saEntry 14 }

saInOctets OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX		Counter32
	UNITS		"bytes"
	MAX-ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS		current
	DESCRIPTION
		"The amount of encrypted traffic measured in bytes received
by the ISAKMP phase 1 SA. This includes encrypted traffic used to negotiate
the ISAKMP phase 1 SA, and any re-transmissions received."
	::= { saEntry 15 }

saOutOctets OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX		Counter32
	UNITS		"bytes"
	MAX-ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS		current
	DESCRIPTION
		"The amount of encrypted traffic measured in bytes sent by
the ISAKMP phase 1 SA. This includes encrypted traffic used to negotiate the
ISAKMP phase 1 SA, and any re-transmissions."
	::= { saEntry 16 }

<==

I'm thinking I should remove the "including re-transmissions" part of those
and related objects.

Other objects are the global counters. Should they include re-transmissions
if the individual SAs don't?

That's what I'm asking about.