RE: Retransmits in traffic count?

Potential reasons why not:

It doesn't really count against the lifetime of the keying material, since
there is no new information offered to an attacker since the re-transmits
are identical. (I'd like a crypto expert to confirm or dispute this, if
possible.)

It might be more difficult to implement, since the process of encryption
(and thus counting expirations) is likely to be in a completely different
process/thread/chunk-of-code than the process of handling the time-outs and
re-transmissions.

That's all I can think of. Neither of them are very strong one way or the
other; perhaps that's why I didn't get any objections to the original
wording in the MIB. But on the other hand, I got so few comments, I wasn't
sure anyone had read it...