Re: PKIX vs draft-ietf-ipsec-pki-req-02.txt

Hiya

>   So, sign these three things with different CAs.

We do. But I know at least one implementation from a major vendor that
assumes the same CA across users, routers and firewalls. Strange but
true.

>   Better yet, attach attribute authority or SPKI certs to the plain
> certificate.

Whoa. Who's implemented attribute authority? And who's implemented SPKI?
I've no problem with alternatives like these, but I think EVERYONE does
ExtendedKeyUsage (or can do trivially) and subjectAltName, so the
solution should lie there.

Do the majority of implementations out there today match the dNSName or
iPAddress in a cert's subjectAltName against the ipaddress they are
exchanging packets with?

--
Mark Shuttleworth
Thawte